Sacred Landmarks Intiative

Sacred Landmarks Initiative Logo

Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church

333 South Lake Road
South Amherst, OH 44001

Get a Google Map!

In the early twentieth century, Catholics in the South Amherst village needed to travel northward to Amherst's St. Joseph Church for Mass. In 1933, Lt. and Mrs. Gedeon Rabshaw purchased an unused one-room school at the corner of west Main and Leonard Street and donated it to the Catholic Diocese. The donors were given the privilege to name the new mission, which was dedicated in November of 1933. Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary was born. In August of 1934, Bishop Schrembs elevated the congregation to parochial status. Using stones from the Kendeigh Corner School on Rice Road, the parishioners built a rectory. As growth continued, the parish purchased 20 acres of land on South Lake Street in 1962. A new church was built on the property in 1965. A rectory was added in 1976.

Fall, 2009

View Larger Map