Sacred Landmarks Intiative

Sacred Landmarks Initiative Logo

Second Baptist Church

427 Chapman Lane
Elyria, OH 44035
440-323-1510
http://secondbaptistchurchelryia.com

Get a Google Map!



The Second Baptist Church is a National Baptist Church and an offspring of Elyria's Bethany Baptist Church. On February 5, 1933, a small band of soldiers, as one of the founders stated, met at Thompson Hall, now Marcell Hall on Oberlin Road, with the express purpose of organizing a church. In 1934, five lots were purchased for two hundred fifty dollars. The plot, known as the Mussey Avenue allotment, is now called Chapman Lane. A penny drive was launched in June of 1935 to build a church. Finally, in the spring of 1937, the church basement was ready for services. In the spring of 1970, ground was broken for a new church next to the existing structure. On June 21, 1971, the new church was dedicated. On February 27, 1977, the church mortgage was burned. The church membership has continued to grow and other additions have been made including offices, a Student Center, and a Resource Center. The R.J. Gordon Manor Apartment Complex, which provided thirty units for handicapped and senior citizens, was completed in 1991. In June of 2002, two parcels of land adjacent to the church were purchased for the construction of a fellowship hall and classrooms/meeting rooms.

Fall, 2009


View Larger Map