Sacred Landmarks Intiative

Sacred Landmarks Initiative Logo

Greater Christ Temple Apostolic

123 Oberlin Rd
Elyria, OH 44035
440-323-7141

Get a Google Map!



The mission that would eventually blossom into Greater Christ Temple Apostolic began in 1930 when Elder Wilson arrived in Elyria "to seek and save that which was lost, set captive free and give sight to the blind." With the help of two sisters, biological sisters themselves, Elizabeth and Mary Francis Fitzpatrick, Wilson evangelized door to door throughout the city. Their followers grew and soon thereafter a small facility at 111 Oberlin Road--a former shoe store--was purchased and christened Christ Temple. However, the congregation's evangelical focus resulted in steadily growing numbers and thus Elder Matthews, pastor in 1957, mobilized for expansion of the Temple's facilities. Plans were made to purchase property on the corner of 18th Street and Oberlin Road. After a two-year period of payment, construction began in 1969. The complex, still in use, is 4,480 sq. ft., accommodative of 200-300 people, and features kitchen facilities, modern restrooms, storage rooms, classrooms, baptistery, and choir room. The church is an affiliate of the Pentecostal Assemblies of the World (PAW).

Fall, 2009


View Larger Map