Sacred Landmarks Intiative

Sacred Landmarks Initiative Logo

Magyar United Church of Christ

6119 West River Road
Elyria, OH 44035
440-323-1221
http://www.magyarucc.org

Get a Google Map!



Magyar United Church of Christ began as a neighborhood church in the Western Heights section of Elyria just before the First World War. Of the Evangelical and Reformed denomination, the church was founded by recent Hungarian immigrants in search of a familiar community. Throughout the twentieth century, Hungarian immigrants arriving in Elyria continued to settle around the church. In its formative years, the congregation met in the old First Congregational. That is, until May of 1918, when the present church was dedicated. The structure is a classic example of Hungarian architecture. Subsequent renovations include an enlargement in 1953. Three years later, the congregation received an unexpected influx of members as the Hungarian Revolution drove many immigrants to Lorain County and to Magyar.

Fall, 2009


View Larger Map