Sacred Landmarks Intiative

Sacred Landmarks Initiative Logo

Birmingham United Methodist

15018 South St.
Birmingham , OH 44816
440-965-4653

Get a Google Map!



Birmingham United Methodist Church was founded in February of 1840 when a small Methodist meetinghouse was erected at the eastern edge of the Firelands. The building persisted unchanged until 1908. Since then, numerous additions and renovations have been made, including the addition of a basement, community center, and Sunday school annex. In 1948 and 1968 the building was renovated according to the designs of Dr. Clarence War, a professor of fine arts at Oberlin College. Despite the growth of facilities, Birmingham Methodist did not have a permanent pastor until 1911 when an Oberlin College seminarian assumed the post. Among the most prized possessions of the congregation is their beautiful Opus 9 organ, added in 1983.

Spring 2010