Sacred Landmarks Intiative

Sacred Landmarks Initiative Logo

Christ United Methodist Church

3015 Meister Rd.
Lorain, OH 44053
440-282-2383

Get a Google Map!



Originally known as the Simpson Chapel, the Christ United Methodist Church dates back to 1882 when services were celebrated on Reid Avenue near Seventh Street. By 1899, the congregation outgrew the chapel and a new building was constructed on Kent Street (now called 20th Street) and Reid Avenue. The church was completely furnished by January of 1900. The name changed with the new building; Simpson Chapel became the Twentieth Street Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1963, this building was sold and they moved into their next and current building on Meister Road on the west side of Lorain. In 1979, the church constructed the Helen Setiner Rice Outdoor Worship Center. Though now an affiliate of the United Methodist Church denomination, the congregation continues in its long tradition as a stable center of faith in Lorain.

Fall, 2009


View Larger Map