Sacred Landmarks Intiative

Sacred Landmarks Initiative Logo

St. Peter's United Church of Christ

582 Church Street
Amherst, OH 44001
400-988-4965
http://www.stpetersamherst.org

Get a Google Map!



Saint Peter’s United Church of Christ traces its beginning to German immigrants who left the old country and settled in Black River and Amherst Townships. They decided to erect their own church, which was dedicated in 1857. In 1860 a steel bell was cast in Sheffield, England, and was inserted into the steeple. This is the oldest article from the old church and still calls people to worship today. A twenty ft. expansion was added in 1875 to accommodate the growing congregation, and by 1891 the cornerstone was set for a new church that would accommodate the congregation of 165 families. The structure was finished in 1892, and the architectural style can be described as “Homemade Gothic,” with its spire rising over 100 feet in the air. Beautiful stained glass windows were dedicated in 1924, a parsonage was built in 1931, and an annex was added to the rear of the church in 1950, which contains eight classrooms, a new kitchen and a heating system. There are also a series of later additions such as an the Christian Education Building and Chapel dedicated in 1965, a Memorial Garden dug in 1976, a Memorial Library in opened in 1989, and a Children’s Library and Audio and Visual Center created in 1994.

Fall, 2009


View Larger Map